Thursday, November 11, 2010

Castle Island

Castle Island. It isn't really an island but you can take the ferry there from Boston. We had a little time between projects at home and took the boys for an outing. Veteran's Day always surprises me and turns out to be warmer than I expect. But I forget about the breezes on the water--those are cold.

There was an old fort we didn't even have time to explore. You can watch planes fly overhead right into Logan airport, it was amazing how close they were. You can watch coast guard (and other kinds of?) boats cruising and racing. You can fish off the dock. There is a playground. And the beach!! Enough said. I could see myself spending a whole day there when it is warmer.

Airplanes.

David running along a ledge.

William doing his most favorite thing--swinging and look at the pretty ocean in the background.

Eating lunch.

A little walk on the beach...

And finally testing those rain boots to see just how far they will go!

Will got wet but wouldn't stop with the water.
David pushed the limits just as much but managed to stay drier. More experience I guess?

I didn't even photograph the ocean as we walked around the "back" of the fort and island. I was a little worried the kids might decide to jump in because the fence was more decorative and historic than functional. Dave and Will loved running along the sidewalk and the view was spectacular.

3 comments:

Daija said...

I didn't know there was a ferry to Castle Island! We just drove there when we went. :( It's a fun place, and next time you'll have to try the burgers at Sullivans. Yum! (And they're super cheap, too.)

Deidre said...

We did just drive there...traffic was great on a holiday. I only saw on someone else's blog (maybe Jamie Cook or Lizzy Nielsen?!?!) that you can take the ferry, I should check my facts and not make it sound like I did something I didn't!

Jacy said...

I love Castle Island! Brian's class had a little get-together there when he started school, so it was actually one of the first places I ventured in Boston. I saw the beach, kites flying, and and a big playground and felt a little closer to home, so it has a special place in my heart. We've been back a couple of times, though we've never done the fort, either. Though soft serve at Sullivan's is always a must!