Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Bunker Hill Monument

As a sort of early anniversary outing Brad and I spent most of the day in Boston seeing some of the sights we'd neglected. His school schedule was pretty lackadaisical and we found a free day to do some exploring. This was taken at a little green space on our way.

Brad at a statue with Bunker Hill monument in the background.

We didn't realize that after all the stories we'd head Bunker Hill is no big climb but the actual monument is a doozy! I don't think we would have made it with the kids.
Brad was smiling at the beginning...

I am SO out of shape. I actually stopped to catch my breath a couple of times. Totally embarrassing! This was taken at the top. If you look close you can see the sweat. I think at this point we were both still panting.
A very sticky couple

We were rewarded with one fabulous view of Boston. Brad was able to point out the highway that leads to our house. If you look at the back left you can see the Zikam Bunker Hill Bridge. It's the one that is lit blue at night. For you Celtics fans the bridge is right near Boston Garden.
The monument is an obelisk. This inspired the Washington Monument in DC. It is shorter, but the first!

We spoke with the National Park rangers after our climb down. They were pretty funny. They said they would never dream of climbing all those steps everyday. But often someone passes out and it is usually all the way at the top! So occasionally the rangers have to make the exhausting climb up.
One last look at the monument...

We lolligaged around the visitors center looking at displays of Bunker Hill and Boston history. Something we don't usually get to enjoy. Then it was a walk to find the nearest T stop. I always love the old city neighborhoods and even found my favorite old home trademark.
Wipe your feet before entering!

Many of the doors have these little "boot scrapers" for scraping snow and mud off of your shoes before you go inside. It reminds me of the homes in Nauvoo. I don't know why but I just love them. My front porch will have one of these. I wish I knew what they were actually called and where to get them.

No comments: