Being from Phoenix where everything is crisp and new we were very unimpressed by old (100+ years) dingy homes that were awkwardly converted into apartments. We finally settled at a very large but expensive place called Windsor Village. A lovely town home was well worth the wait. It might sound strange but we made it a matter of honest prayer and got the overwhelming feeling this was the place for us. Upon reflection I don't think we were there for the extra bathrooms, the crown molding, or the faux nice feel, though I wasn't complaining about that! I know we were there for the neighbors.
During our first year there I had so much love and support from three special friends. They were more or less across the parking lot. I think you need that in a new place, during a long winter, and especially as you add another member to your family! During the second year we really got to know our neighbors, in addition to these friends from church...some moved others came but all remained or became great friends.
We said we'd never move unless we could find something that was cheaper and better in every single way. It had to be closer to Brad's school, bigger, and better for us to even consider it. Oh, and we weren't looking too hard either!
We were already inside our 60 days notice when we vacationed in Manie. We almost resigned a lease on our place. I was holding out to sign to see if I couldn't get the management company to fix a few things I didn't like. Before we left we checked out one apartment that reassured us we weren't moving.
While on vacation I got the following e-mail:
Hi Everyone,
I wanted to let you know that the apartment above our duplex is vacant and available starting August 1st.
It has 3 bedrooms, 1 1/2 bathrooms, NEW carpet, NEW cabinets and NEW paint. It also has CENTRAL AIR, natural gas heat and parking spaces for 2 cars one is in the garage. She is asking $1400/month which does not include utilities.
We are located in Watertown about 1 mile east of Watertown Square on Gilbert Street. Our land lady gave us a key and we can show anyone that is interested. We would love to be neighbors to a great family.
Thanks,
Heather Brown
I think before I read the last sentence I knew that this place was for us.
I called every good friend I had and tried to get them to tell me why I shouldn't move. But they told me I should. I had a good day of crying and mourning the loss (ok not loss...but close proximity, good times, whatever) of a place we really loved. We certainly made a few compromises. The new place is older, oddly designed, and a little smaller. We lost a bathroom, but we did gain a garage! We even were able to keep the original move out date instead of having to pay for a few extra weeks.
What would you do with $600 extra dollars each month?!
5 comments:
Oh D! It is hard to move. But you can't pass it up for the $$ savings. Wow! That is a lot of money. Send me your new information in an email, so I have it.
Love you guys--
Sounds like a wise move to me. When we were in grad school, our favorite apartment was upstairs in a duplex above another young family in our ward. It was great! We loved trading babysitting and going downstairs to play games after the kids were in bed (with the baby monitor on). Hope you love it!
That's awesome! I totally understand moving to save money. We are on the verge of doing that, but we love where we live so much. We already talked down our management almost $200, and it's still pretty expensive, so we might move. Yay for saving money! I'd say do something fun the first month and then be responsible after that.
It won't be forever and I think in the end you'll be happy you've saved money for that future van of yours! Plus you only live 4 minutes away from me now! Duh! What a smart choice!
Holy crap?!? $600?!?! Yeah you'd be dumb not to move. And 1 1/2 baths is plenty.
Post a Comment