Saturday, March 21, 2009

Maple Sugarin'

Excited to learn about maple syrup

We took a trip to see how maple syrup is made and we weren't disappointed. There are only a few places in the US and Canada where trees can be tapped and we live in one of them! The entire tour was free and very interesting. David liked the outing and again William slept most of the time. We were glad to show grandma a little bit more of New England. Brad is hoping to tap some of the maple trees in our apartment complex next winter...

David found his favorite--a "ruff ruff"
Notice any similarities?

We keep him on a leash too!
Father and son

The steps to making maple syrup. 40 gallons of sap to make just one gallon. No wonder it is so tasty.

Drilling into the treeBuckets to collect the dripping sap

Tasting the sapHow it used to be boiled downHow it is boiled down todayAnd our favorite...sampling the maple products!
Maple spread is sure tasty.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

This is so cool! I have never done this, but would love to with my boys next year--when you get a chance will you please email me where you went and any other info so I can plan this for next year? By the way, how are you doing with two-- you guys seem to be handling it very well with your outings and all! :)

Lisa Tucker said...

I love reading your posts and learning more about Boston! Thank you for all the great history lessons. The children are darling! Love Aunt Lisa

Nadia said...

Look at all the things that you're getting out and doing with a brand new baby. Good for you! (but don't wear yourself out!)

Lindsay said...

Hi Deidre! I found your blog through Daija's. Awesome post! Which sugarhouse tour did you go on? I love New England adventures!