Friday, September 18, 2009

Apple Picking

On a recent walk to the park in our apartment complex an apple fell off a tree. It landed on the sidewalk right in front of us. I pointed and said, "apple." David repeated, "ah-phul." It is such fun to be in the midst of a toddler word explosion.

Today was the first fall field trip. Luckily the weather cooperated. My friend Melanie rode with us. We managed to squish her car seat in the back. Three cute little boys were smashed into the Corolla. (Oh how I covet a mini-van. But I digress...) I realized about half way through the trip out to Togus Farms that my gas was really low...red light almost empty low. It was embarrassing to stop when we were already running a little late.

David sticking out his tongue

Sadly David was the only kid who was in a stroller during the hayride. I just couldn't figure how to keep both boys contained. I think he would have enjoyed it a little more if he'd been free.

William enjoyed flirting with some of the other gals there.

Enjoying the apples

We were allowed to pick five apples each plus one to eat in the field. I was surprised how easy it was. The trees seemed to be pruned for even the shortest of apples pickers. Luckily my visions of having to climb up in a tree to get the apples weren't accurate.

I guess David had run off somewhere...


All he really wanted to do was pick the rotten ones off of the ground and push the empty stroller around. Our farm boy tour guide noticed David and said "He just has a mind of his own." Yeah buddy, you don't even know the half of it. (More...)

Beautiful Apples just waiting to be picked.

Lovely David Face

The cider doughnut was probably the highlight. Of course he wouldn't eat his sandwich for lunch. He enjoyed climbing rocks, constantly running toward the parking lot, and finally playing on the playground and petting the goats with Melanie and her son while I fed William. No matter how I try I never do end up going on these outings without the help of two or three others. I'm thankful that others are so kind to me and my children.

All three boys fell right asleep on the way home. Nobody wanted to take their regularly scheduled afternoon naps when we got back. At least we got some tasty apples and enjoyed beautiful fall weather. Ah seasons!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like it was so much fun. I am jealous!

Jenna said...

I love helping you! Don't love the pic of me though.