Saturday, September 4, 2010

Moving Muscle

I have a few vivid memories from moving day and want to record them before I forget! Fall seemed to roll in just in time for Labor Day weekend. The morning air was a bit cooler. It seemed like all that gross humidity had melted away overnight. Being from Arizona season changes always come as a shock but I'm beginning to enjoy them...at least ones that don't have anything to do with winter.

I dropped Dave and Will off with Melanie and their beloved little friend Jackson then headed into Dunkin Donuts. I wanted to provide our kind mover friends with a little breakfast. I saw an older guy that dressed in a professional Red Sox polo with an official looking name tag. I figured he worked for Fenway or the team and threw a "nice day for a double header" comment his way knowing that last nights game had been cancelled and rescheduled for the afternoon. He smiled and said "It'll be a long day" and asked if I was coming. I told him I wasn't but I just felt so darn New Englandly standing in line at Dunking Donuts talking about the Red Sox...I was so excited about my little conversation that I almost missed the cashier saying "next." I ordered two dozen donuts and a nice young employee put both boxes in my car! It seems that chivalry, or at least good business practice, still exists.

I ran to the Shaw's supermarket to pick up milk and orange juice. "Please Come to Boston" (the Dave Loggins version) was playing over the loudspeaker perhaps just to add to my happiness. I was totally euphoric over my perfect little New England morning. Great day for a move.

I pulled up to our house and found the moving truck half loaded and got inside just as our piano was being taken out. These Weston II Ward movers mean business. When I left for errands no was there yet and a half hour later they were almost done!


Up and over the first hurdle!


Thanks guys!!
We only lost two cheap Target bookshelves, totally worth it in my opinion. Our neighbors were SO IMPRESSED with all the help we received from our church.

Getting the piano into the new place wasn't so easy and I'm really glad that I wasn't there to see it go up the stairs and around the corner...

Ouch.

This problem has since been resolved by our friend Becky who just 'happened' to have some spackle in her lying around in her kitchen. Granted, she was in the middle of a remodel project. She stopped by and slapped it on the wall like a pro while all four of our combined children helped. It was amazing.

Roumer has it that our Elder Quorum president single handedly lifted the piano up the stairs. While I don't quite believe that I know there was only room for one or two other guys in that tight entryway staircase.

After the movers left our friends the Christensen's came over and set up our beds and our table while we returned the moving truck. They helped us rearrange boxes and at least create a few paths. When I think back on the outpouring of love and service we were given I'm very humbled. Many friends watched David and Will for a morning or afternoon here and there while I packed. Another friend watched them during the move and later when I was cleaning out the apartment. A neighbor babysat on moving day too. We had babysitters, movers, furniture assemblers, wall fixers, and even dinner. We are feeling overwhelmed with gratitude...and a mess of boxes!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Lucky you. You have such good friends. I'm glad things went well.

Cindy said...

We have been the recipients of that kind of moving 'love' many times over our married life. such a blessing.