Saturday, May 9, 2009

Brad's Birthday

I asked Brad what he wanted to do for his birthday. I was thinking he'd just like some time to himself (that is what I would choose!) but he said he wanted to spend the day with us and go on a family outing. I was touched by that. We packed up the kids and headed into Boston. We had to record William's first ride on the subway better known here as the "T."

Everyone keeps telling me how big he is for a little baby!

We went to the public garden in March when nothing was growing and promised ourselves we'd go back. It is amazing how long winter is and then all of the sudden...poof things are green and begin to grow. We are experiencing seasons like we never have before. Like everything in Boston the public garden is historical if for no other reason than it has been around for a long time.

Brad and David by some tulips

Getting ready to ride the swan boats

A swan boat. They are powered by a guy who paddles in the back.

Can't get a better view in the city than this!

Bridge on the swan boat pond in the public garden

Yes we did actually get to see some real swans

Another tulip photo op on our way out.
It was the perfect day trip. Beautiful weather and the kids made it home for afternoon naps. I'm a little sad to leave for the summer when being outside has been so nice.

How can it be a birthday without presents? I ventured into new territory and made a peppermint cheesecake. It didn't look great but it tasted decent. Slowly I'm becoming more domestic.

Brad asked for something like this but then he was home when the package was delivered from navystuff.com. Maybe he'll have an actual surprise next year.

Brad is becoming somewhat of a pen collector.

Dinner at Churrascaria Rodeo

Think of Tucano's gone Mom and Pop. It was delicious even though the meat selection wasn't as huge as Brad would have liked. I thought that the atmosphere was amazing. Kind of like a little European cafe or something. They found out it was his birthday and dimmed all the lights in the restaurant then came out and sang.

We had a great time!

We came home and found that David had gone to bed and William had slept most of the time too. Always good to know your kids did ok without you.

Brad I'm sure glad that you are my husband. I'm amazed at the father you are becoming and all the little things you do to serve us. Hopefully you felt some of this appreciation today!

11 comments:

Audrey said...

A pen collector?? What a geek! ;) Just teasin' Brad! It's so fun to see you guys to all these cool things! Where are you off to this summer? Did I miss a post or something?

Alison said...

I love the adventures that you are getting to do... how fun!

Happy Birthday to Brad!

I second Audrey's question... where are you heading to this summer?

Deidre said...

Lol. Uh it is exciting but not. To Phoenix for his dental internship. And I guess I didn't think it warranted a post but now I'll repent!

Deidre said...

Oh and I agree that collecting pens is totally geeky. At least he actually uses them to write with. We'll be worried when they get put away in a special case or something.

Cindy said...

Okay--that was my question too. Are you just keeping you apt. in Boston to go back to???

Happy Birthday Brad! May is a good month!

Lisa Tucker said...

Are you coming back to AZ for the summer? You must come by so we can see the children. Pen collecting is a very big. My old boss collected pens, very old pens. Collector ones. They can add up to alot of money. He does have them in a case, and does use them. Fountain ink pens, w/ a blotter etc. Happy birthday Brad.

Brad said...

No fountain pens yet. I do want one eventually, but they're kind of expensive. Right now it's mostly rollerballs and ballpoints under $50 (usually 10 or 20) and souvenir pens from places we visit. I don't have a case, but do keep them in sleeves in a padded box. I've also got the Navy pen I signed my commissioning docs with and two pens hand-made by my little brother, so those are kinda priceless.

Nadia said...

Glad that you had a fun day!

Cara and Steve said...

Happy Birthday Brad! It looks like you guys had a wonderful day in the city. The boys are growing up so fast... they are so adorable :)

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday late Birthday Brad! Great photo's makes me so want to come to Boston!
William does look like he is growing just fine.
I'm won the St. George Marathon lottery...not sure if that's good or bad but hopefully the knee will corporate the letting me pound out the miles.
Where are you going for summer?
Love and miss you guys.

Hayley said...

Looks like a great day! Happy Birthday Brad! Good luck in your "move" xx