Monday, May 3, 2010

The Swans Are Back!

I was so proud of myself for finding something fun to do on a GORGEOUS day. Thank you, Boston Central. We enjoyed discovering the Swan Boats at the Public Garden for Brad's birthday last year. We admired the real swans on the lake as we were paddled around. Little did I know--the swans winter at a local zoo and are released onto the lake each spring complete with a very special ceremony.

Ready to see the swans. Already a little dirty...

Will is so cute.

A park ranger read "Make Way for Ducklings" and there was face painting and a live band with a little parade to march the swans to the lake.

I'm curious Danielle, is this the uniform you'll be wearing?

The story and really most of the festivities were beyond the boys but we just loved being outside in the summer-like weather.

Will wasn't too happy the entire time, but I wasn't about to go home for his nap either.

Swans

Here they are just after being released into the lake. At this point David was either trying to splash in the water or run around the lake in front of the crowds on the edging. He didn't fall in but I'm really glad another Mom grabbed him for me. A plus for balance right?

Highlights of the afternoon:

Brad met us during his lunch. It was about 20 minutes each way but he hadn't seen his kids in almost five days. It was worth it. As usual, Will didn't want to see him go.

Free Swan shaped cookies and yummy lemonade served by the Four Seasons Hotel. I think someone else was giving ice cream samples. Forget the lunch that Mom packed!

David being able to run around, get muddy, kick his feet in the water, how do you really keep them from doing that?! and just enjoying being a boy.

Seeing three families that we know and love. It was so much more fun to go with the Clark's. It was also wonderful to catch up with the Hull's and enjoy their little baby. I was even more ecstatic to discover Tyler is in the bishopric of the single's ward that is the perfect fit for Danielle.

The really REALLY awkward moment where a group of Asian tourists saw a newborn in our group and literally swarmed us with "ooos", "ahhhhs," and even stranger...started taking photos of her baby and my kids. Without permission. Flattering at first but then...weird! It took awhile to get them to stop. I kept telling David to say bye bye and they didn't get the hint. Probably harmless, but why on earth were we so interesting?

On the way out of the Boston Common garage the meter read "$22.00." I asked the attendant if that was for real. It was. Yikes.

3 comments:

LJ said...

The Asian group must be from one of those countries that don't have children anymore. Must be a big deal to see a baby. Just think, your boys will be in someone else's scrapbook...That is a little weird.

Cindy said...

What a nice outing. Good grief on the parking fee! Just a BIT excessive...

Lindsay said...

We had a blast spontaneously meeting up with you, your boys, and Brad! The lemonade was delicious. I need to email you a few pictures of David. What was up with the Asian lady in the white gloves posing with our kids? What a sticky situation. I am glad you had a tactful way of saving us! Your kids are adorable and stop people wherever they go...the Boston Marathon, the Public Garden, you name it. Maybe you should start charging people if they want to take photos of them. We are so excited to meet your sister and cannot wait to have her in the ward. I think she is really going to like it! Let's hang out again.