Saturday, August 16, 2008

Minute Men National Park

We live minutes from the Minute Man National Park and decided to do something local. Our new Canadian friends the Keyes came with us. They took Brad and I as the authority on lots of US history facts which made us kind of nervous...even though I should have some experience in the area after kind of specializing in it and kind of teaching it I find it nerve wracking to have people put that much trust in your knowledge!
We really enjoyed a presentation at the visitors center even though the other people there probably didn't enjoy David talking through the whole thing. The show was all about the events that led up to that first "shot heard round the word" and the efforts of the Minute Men to send the British back to Boston. I love the way the local farmers were ready at a moments notice. It is still amazing to me that they imtimidated highly trained Readcoats. :) I think I would have been a great revolutionary. Anyhow, the show had a really interesting map that lit up to show the different things like exactly where Paul Reevere rode and what movements the Redcoats and the Minute Men made across the countryside. I think if we'd only seen this film I would have been more than happy.
The men really loved the rifile firing. Even though those old muskets didn't have the best aim I sure wouldn't have wanted to be near them when they went off.
I just thought this was cute even though Brad is hidden.
We finished up the outing by watching part of a mock trial from the 1700's. It was really interesting and witty but all the kids were ready to go. I'd like to visit again and see some of the other things the park has to offer...maybe a tour on Lexington green. I find battles much more interesting when you aren't reading about them in a textbook. I hated teaching them because I could never make them seem very exciting. Too bad I couldn't have just taken my students to the battle sites!

3 comments:

Nikki said...

I am being so totally honest... My dream job: being a tour guide. I love guided tours! My secret fantasy: I sort of hope that one of the missions that I go on includes being a tour guide at some church history site!
Reading this makes me want to travel again!

Andre, Melissa and Jolie said...

That sounds like so much fun! You guys are so much more adventourous that we ever were in NY. We would drive around to a few places and knew our way around pretty well, but I guess MA has a lot more to offer than Long Island NY! It is so nice to get to know the area where you live. Isn't it funny that you have probably seen more places then people that have lived there all there life! David is so cute and he is so long compared to Jolie! Danielle was over yesterday and we were comparing the kiddo's! It is nice to have a tall boy!

Nadia said...

Looks like you guys are having lots of fun. I wish that we had as much to see around here! I guess we should just be grateful of all the water!