Sunday, October 11, 2009

Joseph Smith Birthplace

We've talked about this outing since we moved here. Finally. We headed out to the Joseph Smith Birthplace in Sharon, Vermont. (Right after church of course.) David and Will slept and Brad and I were taken away by the leaves. Beautiful colors. Much more red than Utah.

David (being a little irreverent) and Will with me in the background.

A sister missionary gave us a personal tour of the visitors center. I felt a sweet spirit there. When Joseph F. Smith dedicated the granite monument he said that people would look upon it and feel peace. I did.

David ran around, rolled down the hills, and tried to touch everything he could.

William was happy to get some wiggles out too

David and I

The blustery weather didn't stop Will

The 38 and 1/2 foot tall monument
A foot for every year of Joseph's life

Family photo
I hope the boys will look at this someday.

I've always felt bad that David's birthday falls on December 27th, just two days after Christmas. I'm afraid that his birth won't be remembered and celebrated after the holidays. It was good for me to realize that the Prophet Joseph was born on December 23rd. I needed to remind myself how special David's birth was and that he came to us when he was supposed to!

Words cannot express my feelings here.

Site of the front porch--Joseph Sr. and Lucy Mack Smith home

Picture fall on the drive out.
You may not believe me but I promise there was a lot of beautiful red too.

Sometimes I feel far away. From the West, from Phoenix, from BYU, from family. Even from other Mormons. But other times I'm taken away by these experiences and wonder to myself if we'll settle somewhere "different." I was grateful for today.

2 comments:

Janelle said...

I love this place; it is one of my favorites. So glad you got to go. I agree that the pictures never do the beauty justice. :)

Unknown said...

Oh what fun! So jealous. And David will have great birthdays. It is a little hard (we ahve a birthdya 4 days before Christmas) but it really is still their special day. And at least you can shop the after Christmas sales for birthdya presents. Very cool!