Saturday, June 12, 2010

Lowell; Industrial Revolution Town

Brad had to study this Saturday. Danielle wanted to see Lowell so we drove up there with the kids. Lowell was an important city during the industrial revolution. Lots and lots of textile factories. It was maybe a half hour away. Danielle had two specific museums in mind--the textile museum (we sound nerdy, but that is who we are!) and the Mill Girls and Immigrant exhibit.

Here is Danielle trying to lift a bale of cotton. It took both of us.

This museum interesting. It was all about cloth and cloth making. There were many old clothes on display along with an equally huge modern section. I saw a bell that was cast by Paul Revere. There was a lot to see and I didn't read everything but I wanted to. Thank goodness their was a nice children's room. After ten minutes inside the exhibits I decided to watch the kids while Danielle looked around and then we switched.

Mill Girls and Immigrant Exhibit

Of course we loved the social history here...reading about how the girls lived, what they did the in boarding homes and how they liked their mill jobs. The place was deserted so David and Will had fun running up and down the ramps. We made friends with the National Parks ranger in charge. She'd been a nanny before and just finished school with history degree. She was getting ready for an MA program. Danielle and I had a lot in common with her. She was kind to talk to the boys and play with them a little.

We didn't get to ride the trolley, or visit the trolley museum, the boot making factory, or stroll the canal walkway so we may go back. I enjoyed having someone else to read my way through exhibits with. Maybe someday I can do that without being interrupted. :)

A little sampling of what we saw at the textile museum:


2 comments:

Heather said...

Maybe in 30 years or so...but then you'll have grandkids so probably not.

Angela said...

Just in case you didn't know, you and your sister look very much alike. :)