We finally made it on a tour of the statehouse! I was able to walk through with some friends in November but I was still anxious to take the tour. I was impressed. We had a sweet elderly guide who was very experienced and knowledgeable. She must have been doing the tour for a long time to know so much.
Danielle with a mini statehouse model.
George Washington in a toga.
State Representative Chambers
Close up of artwork in the chamber.
It reads--1788 John Hancock proposing the addition of the Bill of Rights to the Constitution.
I think it is hard not be amazed because so much of Massachusetts' early history is also the history of our country.
A picture of Samuel Adams on the wall of state governors.
Once elected each state governor is allowed to chose one portrait to hang above the fireplace in his or her personal office. The current governor Devall Patrick has the portrait of John Andrew. John Andrew created the 54th regiment, one of the first and most famous all black units during the Civil War. Mitt Romney chose none other than John Hancock. John Hancock is famous for...well, everything. How cool would that be to sit at your desk and look up at his official portrait?!
An old fashioned mail chute.
If you live here or visit I'd recommend this tour. It is even fairly stroller accessible--we just found that out the hard way. We called ahead and reserved a spot. I was unclear if you can show up and take a tour, but it seemed very promising.
No comments:
Post a Comment