Travel day had finally arrived and I was nervous. I spent last week babysitting in order to swap and have my kids watched for two days this week. Preparing to leave to small kids is lots of work and worry. Brad kept his schedule clear in the mornings so the boys wouldn't have to be left all day. All three boys dropped me off at the Manchester, New Hampshire airport and I was on my way. It was both strange and wonderful to not fly with the whole family. I can't say I love taking separate trips. But with two toddlers it is A LOT easier for the person going! What to do with all that free time on the plane? Read, sleep, and chat with the woman next to me.
I arrived in Utah and got the rental car. By some crazy coincidence my Mom was in Utah too. My Grandpa just had surgery and she was there helping. I drove to my grandparents home and saw Grandma Lyon and my Mom. I headed down the street for a quick visit with my Dad. My Mom and I then went to the hospital and ran into my uncle, aunt, and one cousin. I saw my Grandpa for a few minutes and even in his post-major surgery state we had a wonderful conversation that wouldn't have been complete without one of his stories. Good to see him and know he was ok, he's been battling cancer.
Then it was back to my Grandparent's home and goodbye to my Mom after a too short visit. I headed down to Provo to pick up Jorden and Katrina. I worried the whole time. Would everyone like the planned activities? Would it be a fun weekend? Was it worth all the money, work, and traveling? I tend to get extreme anxiety about almost everything so this was normal but heightened because of all the craziness of the day and the late hour.
It was fun to drive into Wymount. The memories came back as soon as I rounded the corner on 9th East and drove by our old apartment and my old college job. The moment I walked into Devin and Katrina's apartment my anxiety subsided. Katrina and Jorden had kindly done the grocery shopping for me so all we had do was load up and drive to Midway. We chatted the whole way up the canyon.
Amy and Noelene flew up from Phoenix together and waited for Nadia who was coming from Seattle. They all drove up from Salt Lake and met us about an hour after we got to the resort sometime around 12 midnight. Poor Jorden was really sick. She headed straight to bed and Noelene was quick to follow. Amy eventually made her way to bed too. Nadia and I probably kept Katrina up for a few extra hours. Brad and I figured out that by the time I went to sleep MST that our kids (albeit extra early) were already awake EST. I was tired but felt like the main purpose of the trip--getting to talk to each other--had already been successful!
No comments:
Post a Comment