Our first stop the next morning was back at the Amish market where David had picked out his birthday cake. It was a good place to get breakfast. Lots of buffet style choices and a really neat atmosphere. We took the bus to our boat tour. It wasn't easy to get our strollers over the massive amounts of snow on the sidewalk and curb (!)
A Circle Line Boat Tour
I like this photo of David with the Empire State Building in the background.
At least the boys started out enjoying each other!
I've been at the foot of the Statue of Liberty before but this view (from the very cold bow of the boat) was amazing.
We trudged a (sort of) short distance through varying degrees of sidewalk--cleared, semi-cleared, not cleared at all, cleared but not big enough for a stroller and so on. We found good puddles at each intersection and I don't know how poor Kent survived the trip without waterproof shoes! We wandered through times square to our next destination:
Photo of David on the porcelain throne.
We made this stop and took this photo in honor of Brad. He got stuck in NYC almost exactly two years ago when a snow storm hit and he didn't make his connection to Phoenix. According to him the Charmin bathrooms were the nicest you could find in New York.
We headed back to the hotel to give both boys a nap. Kent and Noelene met a friend for lunch and we all met back at swanky hot chocolate place. It was too busy to sit down so we ordered some refreshment to go. Another fun-but-treacherous walk and we were at the Macy's department store holiday windows. We pushed our way through and were able to see every single one. They were made entirely of paper but were so life like I found it hard to believe other materials weren't used!
Decorations inside Macy's
William smiles as we wait for Grandpa to buy something.
On our way into FAO Schwartz...
The kids seemed to like the toy store and David was in heaven. He got to purchase not one but two sets of legos--his birthday present from his grandparents. The store closed earlier than we thought we didn't get to try out the huge piano that the Tom Hanks movie Big made so popular but we did see it.
Grandma Noelene was kind enough to stay with the boys and put them to bed. Kent, Brad and I took a trip up to the top of the Empire State Building. It was cold but worth it. Brad found found the Flat Iron building for me. We had walked by it earlier in the day. I was going crazy the whole time we were in the flatiron district...where was the Flatiron Building?!?! I'd seen it with my parents years ago, but its features are only noticeable when you are standing away from it.
The Empire Lobby all decorated.
Brad and I trying to stay warm!
Tonight was a nice end to a fun but slushy day.
1 comment:
You guys do the 'funnest' things!
Post a Comment