When your birthday is the same week as Christmas your Mom worries about how to best make you feel that your day is special. This year after several disasters we concluded that it was best to have a party for David in the summer.
The first disaster was the more-snowy-than-usual-snowy-New-England-Winter. Forget having a bunch of people over...where would they park? On the street that could barley let one car through?
The second was a scheduling error of the church building. I'm glad we didn't show up wanting to have a birthday party when there was a Stake Relief Society leadership meeting/lunch happening.
The third was that I accidentally sent these little photos to a military base in South Africa. I don't know that they ever really went there but they certainly didn't get to our house very fast. Darn you drop down menus!
It was looking like David wouldn't have his Curious George party. I was tempted to skip it because he'd really never know but I had talked it up all winter so I couldn't break my promise to him.
This is just in case you couldn't see the small photos on the invitation:
The Man in the Yellow Hat for Halloween 2009.
Meeting Curious George in person not long after William was born!
I found some clearance monkey invites at Target!
We decided to have the party while my parents were in town in June...this way they could meet some of our friends. It ended up being really good that all those helping hands were around. I don't know if we could have pulled it off without my Mom and Brooke hanging balloons and cutting rolls minutes before everyone arrived.
Digging in bark mulch for potatoes. Both David and William loved this activity at a festival we'd been to in the spring and I was anxious to see how it worked as a birthday party game.
Curious George Bean Bag toss.
Pin the hat on TMITYH.
The half birthday boy. He tells everyone he's 3 and half now.
The family.
The monkey cake made by Brad.
And the moment that was worth all the work! David really did enjoy blowing out those candles. I think all the kids liked the cupcakes too.
Here is William happy to be sitting with his grandpa Von.
It was a great little birthday party. The weather cooperated, it didn't rain, and it wasn't sticky! We maxed out the capacity of our backyard with good friends and neighbors. And man were we all exhausted afterwards. I think David (and everyone else) had a good time.
4 comments:
Happy half birthday David! I can't believe how big your kids are getting!
My baby was born January 8th, so I may have to do this too. I love the Curious George theme!
My sister is due Dec. 24 and is already planning to just do half birthdays for baby girl.
That was a fun party. I'm glad you caught me in a photo looking like I am picking my nose!
Post a Comment