Will had to visit the hospital for a minor inpatient surgery today. (I won't elaborate to save him from embarassment if this post is still around cyberspace when he is a teenager. He'll thank me for doing it though.) Don't even get me started on why this wasn't done correctly in the first place! He was the youngest one and had to be there at 6am to get ready.
I think he could sense that something was up. He just wanted to be near me.
This was right before he went in around 7:45 AM. There was a child life specialist playing blocks with Will. I was really impressed with her. They let (if you could call it a privilege?) me into the OR while he was being sedated. I had done my emotional stuff already so it wasn't too bad. He was really mad and fought it; even popped the hose off of the mask. The plus side of having him so upset was he took a couple really big crying breaths and was out. In a weird way I was glad I could at least be with him until he didn't remember.
Sleeping afterward. He was understandably crabby. He wanted to drink a bottle but was fighting me the whole time. He was still out of it and really uncomfortable. I was surprised how hard it is to wrestle a 20lb baby! Thankfully he doesn't usually do that.
Riding the train into town with Daddy. Brad stayed home from school with David. That made a really big difference for me not to worry about who was taking care of him.
They visited the science center again, it is just on the other side of the Charles, walking distance from Mass General.
David got spoiled with a popsicle at the hospital.
Getting ready to head home. I would feel that way too buddy! We were on our way by 11AM.
I left feeling grateful for healthy kids, great healthcare, and humbled at the thought of parents who routinely have to see their kids go though serious surgeries. We made sure Will had his prescription of Tylenol with codeine. He did remarkably well.
3 comments:
With your comments I can just imagine what it was. Poor little guy. I love ready your posts. You two do so much in Boston. All so interesting. I love it.! Happy Thanksgiving.
we know all about that drill and incompetent obgyns performing crappy circs. hope he's doing ok and that everything looks better. :)
Glad to hear he's on the mend and doing well!!!!
Post a Comment