Monday, December 27, 2010

David's 3rd Birthday

David (and Will) had a fun time opening a few gifts from Grandma Kathy and us. We gave them some new DVD's and Grandma gave them a race track for Hot Wheels cars:

.

On David's birthday we woke up to this:

I would say it was the worst snow storm we've seen since we moved here in 2008. We were sent home from church after sacrament meeting on Sunday as a precaution. The snow started in the evening and continued to fall through the night and most of Monday morning. It took Brad and Kent about 90 minutes to shovel out the driveway. It was impressive.

Today was also leave for New York City day. If we'd planned it any different (gone by bus or car or even planned to go at an earlier hour) we probably wouldn't have made it. Our home teacher Ben came and picked us all up. How do you properly thank someone for a favor like that? I'm sure it took him all morning just preparing to come and get us!


Gilbert St. wasn't looking very plowed....

Winter Wonderland

We made it to the train station with lots of time to spare. Dave and Will had a lot of fun just looking at a toy train going around and around. It didn't hurt that the train had Toy Story figurines on it!

We found that since we had kids we could get on the train first. Let me see...no baggage check, no security, and first dibs on seats? Thanks, I'll be taking the train again!

Here are the boys as we boarded. They were loving the lounge seats.

David.

Riding on a real train for your birthday. What more could a boy ask for?!

William

Watching a movie with Grandma.

It took between four and five hours to get to New York City. Dave and Will did get restless but with four adults to two kids and no airplane like limitations (you can get up and walk around whenever you want) we did pretty well. Both Brad and I found the whole train experience fascinating. It was nice to cruise through the countryside and make stops at both quaint little places and bigger cities.

We took the subway to our hotel and since it was late I put William to bed. David got to go with his Dad and Grandparents to pick out a small cake from a little Amish market. He chose one with Santa on it. We sang Happy Birthday to him at the hotel. Kent even remembered matches. David was thrilled with the whole thing. I think part of the excitement was because he's been to few parties this fall and really likes the Happy Birthday song. I've caught the boys singing to one another these past few months. David recently told a friend that he had a "Santa Birthday."

5 comments:

Ashley said...

What a fun birthday memory! I love it! And I love how the kids really start getting in to what kind of birthday they are having--a Santa Birthday is a great idea! :)

Steven and Chelsea said...

How fun! The train looks like the way to go with little ones!

Jan said...

Has it really been a year since we celebrated his last birthday with him?! Well, now might be a good time to ask, "Wanna come visit us in AZ?" :)

Heather said...

You are old! You have a 3-year-old. But he's so cute. I'm glad the train worked for you--we're toying with the idea of taking one to CA this fall for my brother's wedding instead of driving...we'll see.

Nadia said...

Deidre I hate to say it, but it sounds like another fun event that one of your boys got to miss! You're consistent! Glad that he had a fun day.