David is still an early riser, he's up and excited to be awake by 6:30 AM most days. He runs nearly everywhere he goes including back and forth down our narrow hallway. I'm sure our downstairs neighbors love this about him! He gave up a regular afternoon nap a LONG time ago. David still spends hours playing with cars. He really enjoys books, I often find him quietly pouring over one he's found. When David doesn't want something he says, "I can't like it." Vegetables are at the top of his I can't like it list.
I've noticed really interesting things change with his vocabulary and memory especially in the past six months. I've been able to have some really fun conversations with him. David likes songs and music too--I wish I'd taught him more! He seems to remember places and people very well. Grandma's and Grandpa's in general, Grandpa's truck (clear from last January and February!), and aunt Danielley. He'll make connections and surprise us with some random comment about somewhere we've been together. Upon seeing a cat next door--I want to see baby Jesse's cat--whoa, we've only been to Jesse's house once...how did you remember that?! We moved just after a vacation and he made distinctions between our Philly hotel, our Maine cottage house, our Waltham house and finally...our Watertown house that has a garage.
David traded diapers in for some Lightening McQueen undies just after Halloween and minus a few mishaps and relapses has never looked back. PHEW. He's working on getting himself dressed and is mostly there minus socks and Mom having to constantly remind him to stop playing and put the clothes on!
We've had our fair share of disasters this year too. The most notable by far was letting himself our of the house this past spring. Our kind neighbor found him unharmed and he was safely returned home. Other close seconds include (but aren't limited to!) putting Desitin in his friend's hair and drawing on the couch and walls with super permanent marker just before we moved. There was also the oil all over Mom's bead spread. Lots of other more minor and less destructive incidents include helping himself to ice cream from the freezer (while sharing some with Will of course), and spreading dry oatmeal all over the carpet. I'm left wondering how I could have possibly survived these and countless other incidents, but--knock on wood--there hasn't been once recently. Perhaps he's left these "small" feats behind and is planning for bigger and better? Or maybe during age 3 we will see less mayhem?
Amid some serious sibling rivalry or what my father-in-law coined "big brother/little brother syndrome" we've had our fair share of not sharing along with hitting and taking toys. But I've also seen things that warm my heart. David usually makes sure to give things like sippy cups and treats to William. The boys often enjoy a good friendly wrestle or playing any number of things together. Often it is noisy--jumping off the bed, horse, or train--but sometimes we get the quieter moments with cars and books.
Lately David loves giving and receiving hugs and "squashes," a more vigorous version of a hug. He would probably splash in puddles and play in the dirt (or snow) all day if I'd let him. He really likes "helping" out with cooking. While this interest might be the death of any real productivity in the kitchen it (in theory) makes me happy that he wants to help and be involved in things that Brad and I are doing. Coming from a family of girls I'm always surprised by the things David finds enjoyable (and the mess said activities tend to make) but I really wouldn't trade the excitement and adventurous spirit for anything else.
David you've stolen our hearts. Happy 3rd Birthday!
1 comment:
I know it sounds cliche, but it does just seem like he was born yesterday.
I'm so glad you wrote down the milestones.
How are you fairing with the weather?
Post a Comment