Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Mt. Baker, Pony Ride, and Peace Arch Park

After waking up and eating breakfast we were suprised to hear the hotel fire alarm. It didn't seem like there was a fire but we realized we hadn't brought the diaper bag, car seat, car keyes or even shoes for the boys (note to self: try to remember these things in an emergency!) The alarm turned out to be nothing; David thought the fire trucks were very interesintg. Since we couldn't go back to our room we took the opportunity to walk on the beach a bit more--in pj's and all.

Brad wanted to drive upto Mt. Baker so that is what we did. It was a fun drive. We stopped at a place called Picture Lake.

Amazingly green--especially after two months in Arizona!

We walked around the lake in an effort to get wiggles out. We stopped for lunch on the way back. It was one of those badly decorated small town places that I thought was too expensive and not terribly good. But Brad always likes to try something different.

Can you see why it is called picture lake?

Just as we were getting off of the mountain we saw a bunch of hand made signs advertising pony rides, snow cones, a petting zoo, and a play area. I was driving so on a whim I stopped to check it out. It was really a down home type operation. Brad and I weren't too sure but the people were really nice.

David looked at some of the animals while we anxiously awaited his first pony ride.

It was worth the wait! Brad was able to lead David around for about ten minutes. Most places won't let a little one year old ride but the lady that owned the horse and property didn't seem worried about it. Brad said that David had big smiles the whole time and he especially liked it when the little pony and the bigger horse were neighing to each other.

David at Peace Arch Park

Even though we had our passports we decided that going into Canada wasn't totally necessary. We actually crossed the border inside of Peace Arch State Park instead. David really enjoyed this park. Especially rolling down the hills! I thought the ocean views were amazing and the flowers on both side of the border were impressive. This is a stop worth making if you ever find yourself in NW Washington.

The US Side

The Canada Side
(Note: The water on my pants is spit up from William. And my eyes are close but this was the best one we had.)

Baby William in Canada (I think)

This is a very short clip of a shoeless David trying to roll down one of the hills at the park. I've posted it mostly for Grandma Kathy but watch if you feel so inclined!

Looking back I'm realizing that we were in the car A LOT today. I'm not sure how it worked but I don't remember it being too bad for the boys. I think they were able to sleep and entertain themselves until we got to the next destination.

We took the road less traveled and drove around the cost to get back to the resort. I really can't get enough of those ocean views espeically during high tide. At first it felt like the ocean was right up at the road. Another fabulous day of vacation...

No comments: