Even though we'd been on the beach a number of times we still needed to go clamming. Brad and I ended up digging a lot of clams out of the sand. It was fun but messy. We ended up throwing them all back because we just didn't want to take them home and cook them. Someone else enjoyed all of the digging too.
I've heard somewhere that little boys are made up of dirt. Or in this case sand!
Brad making a hole to find clams in
David had fun helping
William sat in his chair and fussed or slept
Brad had to build a sandcastle while we were there. I think he would have played with it more if we had brought along army figurines. He kept referring to it as a "fort."
What better way to get all that sand off than a hop in the pool afterwards?
We decided to take another costal drive to our next destination. Chukanut Drive. These views were even more breath-taking than our little drive home yesterday. It was simply spectacular.
Deception Pass
Spenser had suggested that we go to Deception Pass and it didn't disappoint. Taken from Wikipedia--Deception Pass is a profoundly dramatic seascape where the tidal flow beneath the twin bridges connecting Fidalgo Island to Whidbey Island goes extremely fast and rough. During lower tides, the swift current can lead to standing waves, huge whirlpools, and roiling eddies."
The view was amazing but no way was I walking out on one of the bridges for a look down! I've recently become much more concerned about heights. Is this a mothering thing?
While looking at the view we met a couple who had once been in the Navy stationed somewhere in Washington. It was fun for Brad to talk with them.
This was our short little hike up under one of the bridges. It didn't last long...we weren't really prepared for all that Deception Pass State Park had to offer. Hikes, beaches, and more. We ended up trekking the shore line right near the pass.
There were lots of things to climb on and David had a good time. He even threw some rocks into the water. We really couldn't see much because of all the mist. It only cleared up after Brad had already taken William to the car.
A misty view of the bridge.
We drove through Anacortes on the way back. The one minor disappointment of this outing was we didn't get to ride a ferry. I was looking forward to that but it was just too late in the day. Better planning next time!
4 comments:
Looks like a fun vacation! We went to Deception Pass a couple of years ago and it was beautiful. We were lucky that it wasn't so misty either but that's all the fun! xx
It is really beautiful. Again--I love how you guys get out and see the surroundings. Such fun!
Where were you staying in Washington? Tyler and I go to B-ham at least once, sometimes twice, a year. Looks like you had a lovely trip.
What a fun trip! I'm jealous because the weather looks sooooo nice. Steve and I were in Flagstaff with Von, Kim, and Brooke... it was so nice to finally get out of the heat!
Post a Comment