Danielle and I ran down to Quincy (pronounced "QuinZy" not Quin-cee like it's spelled--the first and only time I pronounced it wrong was at my FIL's law firm. I was visiting him at work, showing off the baby, and talking with one of his co-workers--an attorney and a Boston native...*really embarrassing*) to see the homes of John Adams and his son. My friend Cheryl was kind enough to watch David and Will and encouraged us to continue our little rendezvous even when we found we'd be longer than we originally told her.
The home where John Adams was born.
This home was where John Adams spent his years as a successful attorney, a revolutionary and as a reluctant politician.
John Adam's last and largest home.
As I tour these historical sites I think "Could I have just been better off reading something about this instead of coming here?" But no, not with this one. I've always kind of felt bad that Adam's wasn't well liked in his time, or even in history. Without him I don't think we would have decided to claim independence. I really could picture Mr/President/former President JA walking around his homes at the different stages in his life. Younger and hopeful, middle aged and successful, older and missing his deceased wife.
I especially enjoyed a recount of the crazy, bizarre, and amazing story of his death on July 4th, 1826. I just looked into the room where he died and I could imagine him there.
The library, built separate from the home to keep it more fireproof.
This simple quote makes me want to read the John and Abagail love letters!
Another check mark on the Boston bucket list!
Today was also Brad's last day of DMD2. We didn't communicate and he just missed being able to come with us. I felt bad that it didn't work out.
Tips for touring: get there early. You'll probably have to wait, possibly for hours. Only a small number of people are allowed in each group. You reserve your spot at the visitor's center then they bus you out to the homes; it takes about two hours but some (much?) of that is waiting for the bus and traveling.
2 comments:
I think this is one of the best places to visit. It is hard to do with kids because you really need to keep them on a leash when you are in the homes. I'm glad that you were able to go.
Ah...another good history lesson. I always enjoy them!
Post a Comment