Saturday, July 24, 2010

Leaving Maine

We woke up to some Maine gray weather; fog and rainy. Packing everything up was no small ordeal, but Brad is usually the force behind it all so thankfully everything fit in the trunk again! We'd thought about checking out a festival on our way out but decided on a stop at Fort Knox (not the one your thinking of) and the Penebscot Narrows Observatory.

A view from the fort...

We wandered around the visitors center and I got caught in yet another museum reading moment. I found out that a relative of Henery Wadsworth Longfellow had something to do with the history of the fort so I was hooked. I got to see a few costumed actors and displays on the way up to the fort.

Will started another one of his screaming fits so it was out to the car for he and I. He didn't calm down after several attempts to offer him his cup and various snacks so he just screamed for awhile. I watched a pretend militia do drills around the parking lot. David and Brad enjoyed a short tour of the fort, for David it was all about being able to carry a flashlight around in the dark.

I don't remember the ride back being particularly eventful which is good. We were a little sad that we missed our ward's Pioneer Day activity but glad we left the bad weather behind in Maine.

1 comment:

Heather said...

How long were you in Maine? Holy cow. Sounds like a long, fun trip.